Educator Resources for Microbes

Microbes is the first level of Caduceus, a puzzle adventure game from Generation Cures at Children’s Hospital Boston that casts players in the role of young medical apprentices. The game challenges students to isolate a single microorganism and identify a disease marker that is causing a plague in mythical Alterica. The game screen shows a microscopic view of a slide teeming with dozens of colorful amoeba-like microbes that move randomly. Each single-cell microbe can be identified by four attributes: nucleus shape and color, cytoplasm pattern, and cell membrane color. The challenge is to click on matching pairs of microbes. Each click marks the microbe with a special dye. Matched pairs disappear until the disease marker is isolated. This game supports lessons on scientific inquiry and the life sciences.

Scientific Method Lesson Plan: The Microbes Game

In this multi-day lesson plan, which is adaptable for grade 6 through 12, students use BrainPOP resources to identify and explore the steps in the scientific method. Students then practice following the steps in the scientific method during interactive, online game play. Through both game play and experimentation, students will also explore how the scientific method can be useful to test hypotheses and solve real-world problems. This lesson can be done in two days. Steps 1-6 of the Lesson Procedure are to be done on the first day. Steps 7-10 are to be done on the second day. This lesson plan is aligned to Common Core State Standards.  See more »

Comments

• julianewyatt

How do I get students logged on to Brain pop without giving them my login and password? I want them to play the Microbes Game through Brainpop.

• cemignano

Good news! Students don’t need to be logged in to play the games on GameUp. However, if they want to watch the related movies on the page they’ll need to log in. Otherwise, you can send them here and set them loose! http://www.brainpop.com/games/microbes/