Grade Levels: 3-5, 6-8, K-3

In the BrainPOP ELL movie Monsters Scare Me (L2U1L3), Ben falls asleep while reading a scary story to Moby on their camping trip. In this lesson plan, adaptable for grades K-8, students identify object pronouns and the nouns they refer to, and ask and answer questions using object pronouns.

Lesson Plan Common Core State Standards Alignments

Students will:

1. Ask and answer questions using object pronouns.
  2. Identify object pronouns and the nouns they refer to.
  3. Arrange words in the correct order using flash cards from sentences with direct and indirect objects.

Materials:

Vocabulary:

Object Pronouns: me, you, him, her, it, us, them

Preparation:

For Activity #3, prepare the following sentences on cards, writing each word or phrase on a separate card. Make them large enough to see from the back of the room, and keep each sentence separate: The mailman / brought / us / a package. We / bought / him / a book. He / sent / me / a gift. He / followed / them. Give / me / one of those apples.

Lesson Procedure:

1. Do you like...? In pairs, have students ask and answer questions using the sentence starters “Do you like...” or “Do you know...” and ending with things students may feel strongly about, such as pizza, sushi, scary movies, a popular show or movie, musician or band, any movie star or famous person, etc. They must answer with an object pronoun. Model how to ask and answer the questions with a volunteer. You can write the model on the board, if students need more support. Speaker A: Do you like Brad Pitt? Speaker B: Yes, I love him. Speaker A: Do you like Angelina Jolie? Speaker B: No, I don’t like her. If you have time, do this activity as a chain drill, so the whole class can hear the exchanges.
  2. Stop! On a repeated viewing of the movie, tell the students to shout out "Stop!" whenever they hear/see a sentence with an object pronoun. With the movie paused, ask students to identify both the object pronoun and the noun that the object pronoun refers to. For example:
    The mailman brought us a package. Us = Ben and Moby
    Let's open it.
    It = the package
    We told him that we like scary stories. Him = grandfather
  3. Stand in a Sentence. Prepare the cards as directed in the Preparation section above. Divide the class into small groups of three or four. Each group receives a sentence; each student receives one card. Each group takes a turn in front of the class, standing in a row to create a sentence in the order that you call them. For the sentence The mailman / brought / us / a package, begin by asking the student with the subject card to come up, then the student with the verb. Next ask, “What did the mailman bring?” and the direct object card goes up. Then ask, “Who did he bring it for?” The student with the indirect object card goes up, and stands in the correct place. Continue with each group. The fourth sentence (He followed them.) only has a direct object, so point out that an object pronoun can be either. The last sentence is challenging, so you can give this to a group who requires the challenge. Remind them that it’s an imperative verb and the subject “you” is implied.

RELATED

BrainPOP ELL Movies
Old Dog, New Tricks (L2U1L5)

BrainPOP Movies
Personal Pronouns