Submitted by: Emily Bern
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 4-8, students use BrainPOP resources to practice applying knowledge of distance, rate, and time to real-world problem solving. Students will also graph linear equations, demonstrate knowledge of slope and intercept, and solve two step equations.
- Apply knowledge of distance, rate, and time to real-world problem solving.
- Graph linear equations and demonstrate knowledge of slope and intercept.
- Solve two-step equations.
- Computer with internet access for BrainPOP
- Interactive whiteboard (or just an LCD projector)
Preparation:This end-of-unit assessment should follow the teaching of distance/rate/time, two-step equations, equations with variables, graphing linear equations, slope, and intercept. You may want to review the primary algebra concepts you'd like to reinforce during this lesson by playing the Two-Step Equations, Equations with Variables, or Slope and Intercept movie from BrainPOP's Algebra Unit.
- Show the Graphing Linear Equations movie and use the Quiz as a springboard for class discussion and review.
- Create a word problem. Example: Band A charges $600 to play for the entire evening. Band B charges $350 plus $1.25 for each ticket sold. Which band costs more to hire? How many tickets need to be sold for the cost of the two bands to be equal?
- Write two correct linear equations in y=mx+b form.
Y= cost for band
- Make a table with at least five values for each equation. Graph the equations showing both lines and where they intercept. Include an algebraic solution for the solution (where the two lines intercept.) A summary statement of the answer to the word problem. Show all of this information on your poster neatly and creatively.
- After the project is complete, as students to write a reflection. Sample topics to write about can be- How well does this project represent your knowledge and understanding of algebra? Did this project show you how algebra can be used in the real world? Why or why not? What additional resources would have been helpful in completing this project?