Grade Levels: 6-8, 9-12
In this lesson plan which is adaptable for grades 6-12, students will use BrainPOP resources to learn about the Articles of Confederation.
- Explore a primary source related to the Articles of Confederation.
- Identify the most important facts regarding the Articles of Confederation and explain their importance in American history.
Preparation:Preview the movie and plan any needed accommodations for your students. Make a class set of photocopies for the graphic organizer and any activity papers you choose to integrate, or share the link(s) with students and have them type directly into the forms.
- Pass out the Graphic Organizer. Have students work in pairs to record any information they already know about the Articles of Confederation.
- Ask students to put their pencils down as you play the Articles of Confederation Movie for the class.
- After the movie, allow students to work with their partners to edit and add to their graphic organizer. You may want to play the movie through a second time (perhaps with closed captioning) to support students in recording their thoughts.
- Encourage students to use the information on their graphic organizers to create a multiple choice quiz question about the Articles of Confederation.
- Ask for volunteers to share their quiz question and try to stump the rest of the class!
- Display the Review Quiz and have students take it as a class, in teams, or in partners.
- Compare the questions in the BrainPOP version of the quiz with the versions students created. Which information is most important to know about the Articles of Confederation? Why?
- Extend student learning through the Activity and/or the Primary Source activity.