Nouns Lesson Plan: Identifying and Categorizing Types of Nouns

Submitted by: Jana Wilson

Grade Levels: K-3

In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K-3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to define and identify nouns. Students will also categorize the types of nouns (person, place, thing, or animal) and use nouns effectively in their writing.

Lesson Plan Common Core State Standards Alignments

Students will:

1. Define and identify nouns
  2. Categorize the types of nouns (person, place, thing, or animal)
  3. Use nouns effectively in their writing

Materials:

• Computer and Internet and BrainPOP access
  • Chart paper and markers
  • Noun word cards (printed and cut apart)
  • Markers, highlighters, and/or highlighter tape
  • Recording sheet for individual word sort

Vocabulary:

noun, five senses, person, place, thing, animal

Preparation:

Print and cut out the noun word cards. Copy one recording sheet for every student. Write any additional nouns that are relevant to your class on the blank word cards and cut out. Have some blank word cards available for the end of the lesson.

Lesson Procedure:

1. Opening: Tell students that today we are going to label and use nouns in our writing. Show them the Nouns video on BrainPOP Jr.
  2. After it is over, show students the Nouns chart (included in the downloadable resource packet) and discuss.
  3. Create a chart to sort the noun word cards provided. Sort the cards, making sure to discuss which sense the word also matches. Examples: A table is a thing that I can see and touch. A bee is an animal that I can see and hear. There are blank cards provided for you to add your own nouns for the sort.
  4. Work Period: Show students the latest piece of writing you have modeled for them (or model a new piece of writing). Highlight the nouns with marker, highlighters, highlighter tape, etc. Then model categorizing these nouns like you did with the noun word cards.
  5. Have students get out a piece of their own writing and circle/underline/highlight the nouns. Then have them categorize the nouns using the sorting sheet included.
  6. Closing: As you walk around to monitor their work, choose some students to share one of their words. Write the word on a blank sorting card and give to the student. Have the student share his/her word, what category it goes in, and what sense it was used in.
  7. Assessment: Look at students’ writing and sorting--Did they highlight nouns? Were they able to categorize the nouns correctly?

Extension Activity:

Have students create proper nouns for the common nouns in the class sort and in their individual sorts. You can also encourage students to explore the Talk About It, Game, or other features that go with the Nouns movie.

4 comments
  1. johnnarb said:

I can’t download the cards either.

• cemignano said:

Hi there- we’ve updated the links above, so you can now download the cards right from the lesson plan. Our apologies!

2. jenniferwhitescarver said:

It says I can find the nouns on the downloadable resources below??? Where?