Submitted by: Sarohini Chahal
Grade Levels: K-3
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K-3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to identify a group of ten. Students will also write a number for a group of tens and ones and show tens and ones for a given number using manipulatives.
- Identify a group of ten
- Write a number for a group of tens and ones
- Show tens and ones for a given number
- SMART Board and internet access to show BrainPOP Jr. resources
- Math manipulatives
- SMART Notebook Activity
place value; digit; groups; ones place; tens place
Preparation:Trouble shoot any technology issues related to website connectivity and SMARTBoard tools/files. Have math manipulatives ready.
- Resume playing the movie to watch the hundreds place segment.
- Have students take turns coming up to the SMART board to organize and write two digit numbers in ones and tens place.
- Use the SMART Notebook interactive file to continue introducing what place value is.
- Students will watch the BrainPOP Jr. video on Place Value. Pause the video after ones and tens place are explained.
- Review ways to identify the tens and ones place in a two digit number.