Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words Lesson Plan: A Hands-On Activity

Submitted by: Amy Mimms

Grade Levels: 3-5, 6-8

In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3-8, students use BrainPOP resources to explore words with prefixes, suffixes, and roots. Students will create a t-chart on butcher paper with the words and pictures they find in magazines and newspapers that have prefixes, suffixes and roots, and apply what they learned from the video and their t-charts on future independent activities.

Students will:

1. Apply what they learned from the video to find words (and/or pictures that represent words) with prefixes, suffixes, and roots
  2. Create a t-chart on butcher paper with the words and pictures they find in magazines and newspapers that have prefixes, suffixes and roots
  3. Be able to apply what they learned from the video and their t-charts on future independent activities

Materials:

• Butcher paper (one color per group, if possible)
  • Newspapers
  • Glue sticks
  • Magazines
  • Computer with internet access for BrainPOP
  • Markers
  • Scissors
  • Class set of photocopies of the Activity page

Vocabulary:

suffix; prefix; roots

Preparation:

Type or photocopy a list of common prefixes, suffixes and roots and pass one out to each group/student, or create a PowerPoint with these listed. Preview the BrainPOP movie and plan where to pause for class discussions.

Lesson Procedure:

1. Pass out the Activity page. Invite students to browse the list and pencil in any definitions they feel they know already. As they watch the movie, pause so they can discuss and take notes to complete the definitions. Note - sometimes this takes more than one viewing!
  2. On the overhead/projector/board, write a word that contains a prefix, root, and suffix. Ask the students if they know the meaning. How? What clues do you have? Explain that affixes and roots will help students increase their vocabulary and them decipher words that they don't know.
  3. Show the BrainPOP video on Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes and complete the Quiz at the end.
  4. Create heterogeneous groups of students for the t-chart activity. I had helpers pass out the glue sticks, scissors, and paper. I have boxes containing each color of markers that I set out at the front of the room for the students to use. I then pass out a stack of old magazines and newspapers to each group.
  5. Independent Activity: find 10-20 words with affixes at home and jot down where you found them. Write them in your journal. Be ready to share with the class next time.
  6. Each group searches for, cuts out, and glues words with prefixes, suffixes, and roots onto the t-chart. They need at least 20 of each category, and I did one category per class time, so that I could make sure that each student could find words with that affix or root. I gave them a time limit of 15 minutes to find words, 5-10 to glue, and then they had to circle or underline each affix or root on their chart. Then we had 5 minutes for clean-up.

Extension Activity:

Students may create a PowerPoint T-Chart of the same thing they did with their group, but this time create the words on their own. They should include 3-5 clip art pictures/photos for each category and 15-20 words they found at home. I have a sample if you'd like a copy. My e-mail is amy.mimms@tylerisd.org.

You can also use BrainPOP's FYI for additional reading material, homework, or to delve deeper into the topic. The "Quirky Stuff" and "Etc." are really fun ones for this topic!