In this Internet Safety lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K-3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to explore ways they can work safely on the computer. Students describe safe activities they can complete online, explain what a safe web site is, and create posters displaying their favorite kid-friendly websites.
Understand how to work safely on the computer.
Describe safe activities for other children.
Explain what a safe web site is.
- A computer with Internet access to project BrainPOP on a screen from a projector
download, computer virus, block, stranger, personal, cyber bullying, bullying
Prior to teaching the lesson, initiate a classroom discussion about internet safety and what it means to each of the students.
- Ask students to define internet safety in their own words.
- Have students discuss sites that they visit while in school.
- Introduce the vocabulary using the BrainPOP Jr. Word Wall.
- Play the Internet Safety Movie for the class.
- Follow up with the Talk About It activity.
Have students create posters sharing their top websites for kids and display the posters around school.