Submitted by: Julia
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K-3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to explore three-dimensional shapes (solid figures) in real-world contexts. Students will also apply understandings about solid figures to problem-solving scenarios.
- Correctly identify three-dimensional shapes (solid figures) in real-world contexts
- Apply understandings about solid figures to problem-solving scenarios
- Solid figures
- Class set of copies of the Cube and the word search (downloadable below)
- Handout of geometric shapes in Spanish (downloadable below)
Preparation:Photocopy the resources outlined above. Place three-dimensional geometric objects around the room prior to the students coming in that morning.
- Play the Solid Shapes movie for the class. Use the ESOL downloadable resource (below) to to support Spanish-speaking students, or to introduce the class to the Spanish words for each geometric figure.
- Use the Game to review the shapes and their characteristics.
- Divide students into groups by tables. Each table will take turns finding two specific shapes hidden around the room. Groups will take turns until all shapes are found. Allow each group of students to work on the word search while waiting for their turn.
- Have the class take the Hard Quiz as an assessment.
Extension Activity:Have students construct their own cube. They can draw one solid figure on each side of the cube. Afterward, have them take turns rolling the cube with a partner and finding real-world examples of the solid figure they rolled. Use the downloadable resource (above) for examples of where each figure can be found. Encourage students to add to the list.
word search math.docx Real Examples of Geometric Shapes.docx ESOL - Spanish.docx