Submitted by: Angela Watson
In this Body Systems lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3-12, students use BrainPOP resources to explore each system of the human body. Students then create a collaborative BrainPOP-based lesson to teach other students about a selected body system.
- Explore each system of the human body
- Create a collaborative BrainPOP-based lesson to teach other students about a selected body system
- Demonstrate what they've learned through additional activities
- Access to the Internet and BrainPOP
Preparation:This lesson can be used throughout a unit on body systems. Students should be very familiar with the basic format of BrainPOP resources such as the quiz, FYI, and activities.
- Introduce the unit by showing the FYI Comic about the human body.
- Ask students to brainstorm all of the different body systems they can think of.
- Play the Human Body movie to give students an overview of all the systems. Use the closed captioning to help students keep track of information and make changes to their list of all the body systems.
- Review the names of all the different body systems. Explain that students will be working with a group to become experts on a particular body system, and share their knowledge with the class. Allow students to choose their groups based on interest.
- Each group should plan a BrainPOP-based lesson to teach the class about their selected body system. They may want to open their lesson with an FYI feature, then show the related movie. This might be followed by leading the class through the quiz and discussing its answers, or the completion of one of the activities. Students may want to use additional resources from the BrainPOP Jr. Bodies Unit to simplify the topic, or add more in-depth information using additional movie topics from the BrainPOP Body Systems unit (i.e. Cells, Blood, Joints, etc.).
- Have students write their lesson plan as a group. Meet with each group separately to discuss their ideas.
- As you progress through your body systems unit, allow one class period per body system for students to teach their BrainPOP lessons. You may want to have the student-led BrainPOP lesson introduce the body system or serve as a culminating activity and review for the system.
- At the end of the unit, have students complete the Human Body Activity and/or Graphic Organizer, as well as the Quiz.
Extension Activity:Have students participate in creating the final assessment for the unit. Each group should create 2-5 test questions about their body system to be included on the class test.
BrainPOP Movies:Digestive System
Heart (Activity Page Answer Key)
Human Body (Activity Page Answer Key)
Nervous System (Activity Page Answer Key)
Reproductive System (Activity Page Answer Key)