Grade Levels: 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
In this Virtual Labs lesson plan which is adaptable for grades 3-12, students explore an online interactive game to learn about the pH scale and its uses in food science.
- Use an online "virtual" laboratory to explore food science lab equipment.
- Demonstrate standard techniques for pH testing.
- Explain how to use a pH meter and calibrate it by measuring solutions of standard value.
Preparation:This lesson plan uses an online interactive virtual laboratory called pH Scale and Meter Calibration. The purpose of the lab is to familiarize students with food science lab equipment and teach standard techniques for this pH testing procedure. Students will be introduced to the pH scale and its uses, gain familiarity with the equipment and procedures encountered in natural science investigations, learn how to use the pH meter, and calibrate it by measuring solutions of standard value.
- Play the pH Scale movie for the class.
- Guide students to understand that in food science, the pH of a substance – how acidic or basic it is – is key to how it functions in recipes. Tell students they will have a chance to explore this through a virtual lab.
- Project the pH Scale and Meter Calibration virtual lab for the class to see. Have student volunteers complete the first part of the interactive as you help them make connections to prior learning and learn how to utilize the interactive. Discuss techniques for using the pH meter and calibrating it by measuring solutions of standard value.
- Provide 10-15 minutes for students to complete the interactive on their own computer. Alternatively, you can have students work with a partner.
- If possible, allow students to conduct a similar chemistry investigation in the science lab.