Gate Math Game Discussion Questions
As students explore the Gate game, encourage them to think about their strategies and what they’re learning through game play using strong questions. For example, you might ask:
- What do you like about this game?
- What are some things that make this game challenging?
- What strategies have you used to make the game easier?
- What is the best way to place your hands on the keyboard?
- What math do you see in this game so far?
- Did you notice the number line on the bottom of the screen and the scale under the character? How did these change as you built the numbers?
- How do the later levels in Gate get more challenging?
- What are some strategies you have used to build numbers more efficiently?
- How is multiplication used in the later levels of game play?
- What are some strategies you can share with your classmates about using multiplication, especially with decimals?
- What did you learn about place value or building numbers that you didn’t know before playing the game?
Adapted from: Source