Grade Levels: 3-5, 6-8, K-3

In the BrainPOP ELL movie, My Mom’s Pictures (L1U5L1), Ben shows Moby old photos of his family, using possessives to describe the people in the pictures. In this lesson plan, adaptable for grades K-8, students use possessive adjectives to describe images from the movie, as well as their own photos.

Lesson Plan Common Core State Standards Alignments

Students will:

1. Use possessive adjectives to describe photos.
  2. Describe their own photos to a partner, and then retell what they learned about their partners to the class.
  3. Write descriptive sentences with possessive adjectives to describe their own photos.

Vocabulary:

Possessive adjectives: my, your, his, her, its, our, their;
Family: father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, parents, children, son, daughter, uncle, aunt, cousin

Preparation:

Ask students to bring in at least two photos of themselves. One should be as a very young child, and another photo with their family or friends. Make copies of theAsk students to bring in at least two photos of themselves. One should be as a very young child, and another photo with their family or friends. Make copies of Family Tree.

Lesson Procedure:

1. Distribute a few photos to each small group. The photos should be of students not in the group. The group discusses the pictures and tries to guess who is in each photo. After a few minutes, ask the groups to report to the whole class. Students show their pictures, and announce their guesses, supporting them with sentences using possessive adjectives. For example: This is Jenny's picture. The baby in the picture looks like Jenny. Her hair is black. And I know this is her mother.
  2. This is Me. Model this activity first by pasting one of your own photos to the top half of a sheet of chart paper. Or use a photo from the movie, such as the one Ben shows Moby of his father and grandfather. In a Shared Writing activity, write sentences on the bottom half, using possessive adjectives to describe the photo. For example: My name is Ben. This is a picture of my grandfather, my father, and me. This is my grandfather. His name is Eli. His hair is gray and his eyes are brown. Here is my father. His name is Bill. His hair is black and his eyes are brown. I look like my father. After the Shared Writing, have students create their own pages with one of their photos, and a short written description using possessive adjectives.
  3. Describe it. Show the second half of Grammar, which features possessive adjectives. Pause before Ben speaks, and ask students to say a sentence using the prompt that's given. Then compare their sentences with Ben’s. For example, the first prompt is “My mother.” Pause for students to think of sentences, such as My mother is pretty, or My mother has an album. Then compare their sentences to what Ben actually says.
  4. Whose and Who’s? After watching the movie My Mom’s Pictures (L1U5L1), ask questions using whose and who's. Elicit the difference between the two. For example: Whose hair is black? Whose teacher is running? Who's in the picture with Nikki? Who’s running? Then, using the Family Tree images, have students ask their own questions about the images using whose and who's.

RELATED
BRAINPOP MOVIES
Possessives