Chronopticon: A free online game about elapsed time and constellations
Chronopticon is a time travel game in which players guide Tim and Moby from the 19th century back to the present day. Along the way, players will gain an increasingly complex picture of the earth-moon-sun system and the celestial sphere, as well as how their motions relate to the passage of time. Through the game, students will:
- Calculate elapsed time in meaningful contexts
- Use models to understand that the rotation of the earth causes the passage of hours and the day/night cycle
- Use models to understand the basic motions and positioning of the earth-moon-sun system
- Use models to understand the basic motions and positioning of the zodiac constellations
- Tell time based on the position of the earth, moon, and sun
Familiarize yourself with the Chronopticon interactive game as well as the BrainPOP Constellations topic and Elapsed Time topic. A great place to start is our Chronopticon Game Guide! The Chronopticon lesson plan can give you even more ideas for integrating the game into instruction.